27 March 2017 - Year 11 - SHS vs PCS

The year 11 boys rugby team played their final school rugby game on Monday afternoon away to PCS. The boys were eager to finish on a high and were raring to go when we arrived at PCS on what turned out to be a lovely afternoon for rugby.


The boys began the game really strong with many good tackles made throughout the opening exchanges. Seaford thwarted phase after phase as the minutes ticked on into the first half. Seaford often managed to break on the counter with powerful runs from Ailbhe Lower and Alan Chumbley getting Seaford up the pitch and closer to the PCS try line. More good work from Captain Elliott Curl also gained Seaford yardage and pushed PCS back. Seaford came close to a try as Callum Peploe burst through and then released Harvey Joy but was well tackled by PCS who then turned the ball over.


A fiery first half then saw the opening try of the match. PCS managed to work the ball nicely to their captain who managed to bundle his way through and find the try line. The fly half was unable to score the conversion and so the score was now at 5-0.


This sprung Seaford into life and within minutes Seaford had forced their way towards the PCS 25 yard line. Seaford continued to press and eventually Callum Peploe bundled his way through two tackles and placed the ball down. The conversion was missed & the score now stood at 5-5.


There was late drama in the first half when PCS again took the lead. This time the ball being touched down right in the corner. Again the conversion went astray as the score went to 10-5. Seaford fought back bravely again, and within the last moments of the first half a brilliant rip tackled by Harvey Joy, released Alan Chumbley to calmly race home and place the ball under the posts.  10-10.


The second half began in similar fashion with both sides demonstrating some fantastic rugby. Both defences where brilliant throughout the afternoon, with stand-out tackling from Keddie Croft who foiled many attacking phases. However PCS again claimed the lead when they managed to wriggle their way through after a very quickly taken penalty. 15-10.


Seaford were spurred into action again as they pushed & pushed to find their third try of the game. Seaford continually made yards but were stopped by the PCS wall of defence. Eventually Harvey Joy bravely burst through the opposition lines & laid the ball down for Seaford to score their third try of the game. The first conversion of the afternoon was then scored by Thomas Rourke, which meant Seaford pushed into a 17-15 lead. Seaford then claimed a larger lead as they again scored a wonderfully worked try which was touched down by Callum Peploe. Rourke again kept his calm and slotted the ball between the posts to give Seaford a fairly commanding lead 24-15.


Seaford fought bravely in the last 5 minutes, knowing that if they could contain PCS to just one try they would win the game. A contentious decision then fell the way of PCS. After some good work from Preece for Seaford to win the ball back, Croft was alleged to be in front of the kicker and so a penalty given. Seaford did brilliantly to foiled the attempts of a quickly taken penalty, although this provided another contentious decision when the referee awarded another penalty for not being 10 yards, despite all Seaford players being on their try line.


PCS managed to break through and score with the number 10 also finding between the posts from the conversion. 24-22 . The final seconds of the game was agonising for supporters to watch with PCS really pushing for the win. The bravery and commitment from the Seaford boys was second to none, but was unfortunately not rewarded as PCS gave the ball to their 'man mountain' who manged to bombard his way through to score. He scored the conversion and the game finished PCS 29 - 24 Seaford.


The boys fought tremendously well throughout and the game was a real pleasure to watch. The boys have been brilliant in all of their games and it has been a real pleasure to coach these lads.

7 March 2017 - Year 11 - SHS vs Ringmer

The year 11 rugby team played their first match of the rugby season on Tuesday 7 March, up against Ringmer.


The boys were raring to go and had organised themselves well in the opening exchanges. The boys were ruthless throughout, pushing hard with immense effort levels.

Seaford took charge of the game early on, and continued to dominate the game throughout. There were examples of excellent phases of play, strong tackling & agile ball carrying. The try of the game was score by Joe Davis when a wonderful off-load from Joe Still found Tom Rourke.

Rourke took three players out the game with a dummy pass to his right and then darted inside the challenge to then offload to Davis who touched the ball down right under the posts. The fortress remains intact & a happy hunting ground for the home boys.


The final score ending 81-0 to Seaford, a dominant & well deserved victory.


Try Scorers: James Allan (2), Joe Davis, Joe Still, Alan Chumbley (2), Callum Peploe (2), Thomas Rourke (2), Elliott Curl & Ailbhe Lower.

Conversion points: Thomas Rourke (5) & Keddie Croft (2)

SHS Rugby news
Match reports from Mr Sutton